Friday, September 19, 2008

It's Literally a Sandwich Fair


Talking about making sandwiches reminded me of The Sandwich Fair. If you're from the town I grew up in, you know exactly what this is. If not, click on the link and you'll witness pretty much a spot on representation of what the Sandwich Fair is all about. The reason it is called the Sandwich Fair is because it takes place in a town called Sandwich, Illinois (And if you clicked on that link you now know that the Sandwich Fair is really the only thing worth mentioning about Sandwich, Illinois [at least according to wikipedia]).

The fair is kind of a big deal for everyone in that area. My friend from high school visited me recently and before he left, his parents said something about him missing the Sandwich fair (his Mom later sent him picture messages from the fair).

That got us talking and we realized how misleading the Sandwich Fair is if you don't know that there is a Sandwich, Illinois. The Sandwich Fair has no sandwiches of note. I really wish they played off their name more and had a sandwich tent or at least followed a sandwich theme. Is that patronizing? I just think my friend would have reconsidered his trip to California if he knew he was going to miss a fair with thousands of types of sandwiches. I, for one, would not have blamed him for rescheduling.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I did not even go to the Sandwich Fair this year. Why pay four dollars to be gouged by food vendors and see the same things they have every year? I had my mom bring me a deep fried Snickers bar, and that was that.

In other Sandwich news, I think Center Street Clay is a fine addition to the town. They work closely in conjunction with the Waubonsee Community College ceramics department, which has a wider variety of kilns than most universities.

Scott Baio is Flipping You the Bird said...

I just want you to know that I am going downstairs to make a sandwich now. You have done your job.

Scott Baio is Flipping You the Bird said...

also did you see the episode of Oprah that was "All About...Sandwiches!" Anyway I made a sandwich after that also

Hi, I'm Jordan Eusebio said...

Holy crap I wish I had a sandwich in front of me right now.

I did not see that Opera but I want to youtube it now.

ClassyChassy said...

I used to go to the Sandwich Fair - my friends had a little trailer and sold tropical flavored snow cones! Brings back memories, as it was one of the BIGGEST little fairs around (besides the Whiteside County Fair - I lived in Morrison Illinois at the time)!