Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Robot A Day

I've been looking for a little project to do over the course of the next school year for some time now. At the beginning of the summer, I would draw each of my meals before I ate them. That didn't work out because A.) I can't draw well and B.) most of the meals I ate were noodles or rice and water (they didn't make for good pictures).

A couple of days ago I decided that I would take a napkin from each place I visited (if they had napkins). Later that day I decided that a napkin collection is pretty useless. Most napkins look the same.

I think I found the activity to fill the napkin taking/meal drawing void. I'm going to draw a robot a day and post them here. I've known since a young age that I am not good at drawing but have always enjoy it. The beautiful thing about my robots is that they are mostly composed of circles and squares.

Here is my first robot. I think he reflects my excited/hopeful mood for the future of this project.

I also had a thought today while I was attempting to plug in my cell phone charger. I have to deal with a ridiculous amount of cords. I'm going to count how many cords I'm using (and at one point had to wrangle into place) at this moment. My ear buds to my ipod. My mouse cord. The cord to charge my laptop. The cord to charge my hard drive. The cord to connect my hard drive to my laptop. My phone charger. My DS charger. The cord to my fan. The cord for the power strip. That's nine cords. That's not counting my desk lamp, the two cords for my printer and other various electronic charging cords. I don't think my parents had to deal with this many cords when they were my age and when I or people my age now have kids who are twenty I think wireless charging will be used much more widely. So that means (according to my guess that wireless charging will catch on and become more advanced) that right now is the only time people are going to be frustrated by tangles and tangles of cords.

2 comments:

John Morton said...

Ooh, wireless charging. Years ago I remember hearing a proposal about wireless electricity being beamed to the Earth via a satellite collecting power through solar panels.

Looking forward to the robots. Incidentally, have you heard of Jonathan Coulton, who quit his job a code monkey and started recording one song every day?

Hi, I'm Jordan Eusebio said...

I was thinking about wireless charging a couple of days ago and came to the conclusion that someone is going to figure out how to shock people through the air. It would be some sort of law enforcement thing where they can use your cell phone as the shock receiver. The way you get around that is by not carrying a cell phone. But that won't mean anything if you have to have an "identification chip" in you (which will also act as a shock receiver).