Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My First California Earthquake

This morning was the first earthquake I've witnessed in California (I've felt a few rumblings in Illinois). I was a little surprised as to how fast I reacted and jumped into a doorway. I was also a little thankful that there was no one else at my house at the time because I would have defiantly pushed past anyone in my way to get to that doorway. Maybe not...Well probably...I guess we'll never know for sure...But really, in all likeliness I would have...

I'll walk you through what I was thinking during the earthquake. To set the scene: I was sitting on the couch in my room, DS in hand...

Event: The earthquake rolls in.
My Thought: "What the hell kind of construction is happening on the roof?"
The rest of the house joins the roof in shaking.
"Why work on the roof and the apartment underneath me at the same exact time?"
The shaking continues.
"..."
"...this is an earthquake."
"..."
"...what do I do in case of an earthquake?"
I bound for the doorway and hold onto it, DS still in hand. The house continues to shake.
"Okay this is kind of cool."
The house shakes a little harder.
"There is no way this doorway is going to do anything for me when this building collapses."
"..."
"...Crap I just wrote my check for next month..."
I look at the DS in my hand.
"Oh, I left my game going."
I pause my game.
"Nice. Good save, me."
House continues to shake.
"Why did I think about the video game? I feel like more important ideas should be coming to me at a time like this..."
"..."

"...I hope the stuff on my desk doesn't fall off."
The earth stops shaking. I stand up straight.
"That was it...?
"Huh."

I nod like I accomplished something. I suddenly stop and look outside.
"Oohhhh, I hope no gas lines broke. A) Because that would be dangerous and B) Because I really want to make Ramen noodles for lunch."
I sit down at my desk.

So that was my experience of the 5.4 earthquake. All of this happened probably within two minutes. The 3.8 aftershock experience was very similar except it lasted somewhere around twenty seconds and I was in the doorway within the first three seconds.

2 comments:

Kim Bagwill said...

A great account of your earthquake experience. I just watched everyone around me to see what I should do...so I stood in a doorway, though on the 6th floor of an office building, it wouldn't have helped much if the building had collapsed.

Nice use of Ramen Noodles artwork, too.

Jennifer Courtney said...

How funny are you? Jesus, I've got tears in my eyes. Thanks!